Friday, August 5, 2016

#AuthorInterview: Harleen Vij

Author Harleen Vij's debut novel The Abstruse is all set to be launched in the end of August, 2016. The blurb of the story seems very interesting and curious. Curious enough for me to want to discuss the book with her. Here are snippets of my conversation with author Harleen Vij:

Blurb of The Abstruse:

A college girl has the power to predict cricket matches. But her lover thinks otherwise- she has the power to see glimpses of future and he is right. Things take a turn in their relationship when they realize this. Their trust and love, which were once spontaneous, become carefully thought our choices. And then, she has a vision. A vision to do with her brutal death and her lover. Should she believe in her vision or her most trusted lover? Should she ignore the premonitions or plan escape?


                   Facebook * Twitter * Instagram * Website


Tell our readers something about The Abstruse.

The Abstruse is about a carefree 23-year-old-girl, Aradhita. She is passionate about cricket unlike other girls around her. She begins her journey by predicting an unimaginable 400+ run chase for Proteas against the Kangaroos. The prediction of this match makes her a favorite amongst her friends who indulged in betting. Gradually, her predictions become freakingly accurate. Her best pal, Aarav, makes her realize that there's more to what meets the eye. She is clairvoyant and stays elusive about it. The Abstruse is also a journey of Aradhita and Aarav whose relationship sees the dark and light in love while dealing with her clairvoyance.

How did you settle on this title for your debut book? 

Abstruse means something beyond the known or unfathomable. Aradhita is dealing with something which is beyond her understanding. The Unknown was the preferred title but it was taken. So, I went ahead with The Abstruse.

Tell us something about author Harleen Vij.

The most difficult thing is to put words to describe yourself. Yes, even writers are at loss of words at times. The author in me is someone I'm myself trying to know. She's completely opposite to what I am. She is serious, observant and an introvert. Sometimes I feel like dealing with a split personality disorder but then, I feel, every author has two personalities. I am more of a carefree and calm person but the author in me is anxious and curious.

Who are your favourite authors?

Khushwant Singh, Amrita Pritam and Jhumpa Lahiri amongst the Indians and Haruki Murakami, Khaled Hosseini and Julian Barnes.

What next? Are you planning on a new book?

Well, of course. I am working on a couple of story ideas.

How was this journey, from conception of a story to being a published author?

Ah! Today, I would say that it's been a beautiful journey. I have seen the worst of times and the best times too. I have learnt, unlearnt and evolved as a person. Not only as a person but as a writer as well. My writing and story-telling skills have evolved drastically. It took me five years to get published and in these five years, I've seen life from many perspectives. I have seen the best and worst in people. I was a novice, both as a person and as a writer, when I started and today I feel glad about the time I took to begin my journey.

               Buy The Abstruse here:


1 comment:

#BookReview: Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

On the jacket: 'I find writing novels a challenge, writing stories a joy. If writing novels is like planting a forest, then writin...