Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: Two Brothers by Ben Elton

On the jacket:


Two babies are born.

Two brothers. United and indivisible, sharing everything. Twins in all but blood.

As Germany marches into its Nazi Armageddon, the ties of family, friendship and love are tested to the very limits of endurance. And the brothers are faced with an unimaginable choice....Which one of them will survive?

Ben Elton's most personal novel to date,Two Brothers transports the reader to the time of history's darkest hour.

Review:

The first thought that came into my mind when I saw the title. was - such an old plot. Books like Danielle Steel's Kaliedoscope and Jeffery Archer's Kane and Abel. Sibling Rivalry. *yawn* Not again. But I was surprised. Like how! I've read a considerable amount of good books this year, so far - this could be one of my best reads! 

I haven't read Elton before, so I cannot compare this book to his other works. It's a first read for me. A very humane tale of lives of normal people. Lives which are changed suddenly by the onset of evil. No emotion is overplayed, you are bound to identify with them all. 

The tale is about two Jewish brothers and we don;t need to be rocket scientists to get a gyst of how their lives change at the advent of the world war - how their satisfied and happy lives take a stumble and are faced with despair and tragedies. 

Absolute must read, I am glad I have been reading some awesome books lately and Two Brothers took the standard up by one notch!

Rating: ****/5

[This review is for Random House India. The opinions are strictly my own and not been written under any obligation.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookReview: Turtles All The Way Down

On the jacket: Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hun...