Now the recipe.
Rajma (light brown colour and not the dark red ones) - 250 gms
Onions - 4 (medium sized)
Tomatoes - 4 (medium sized)
Garlic - 14-15 cloves
Ginger - 10-15 gms depending on how much you like the taste
Salt to taste
Masale -- Corriander powder, garam masala, haldi (optional) and slight red chilly powder, if you wish to
1. Make a paste of the tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, salt, corriander powder, chilly powder and slight water in the grinder.
2. Wash the rajmas well [DO NOT soak in water like is normally done!].
3. In a cooker, put the rajma along with the paste and a little water to mix. Add 2 tspn oil [this is totally optional, since oil is not the cooking medium here. You can completely chuck the oil and make it oil-less.].
4. Cook on low flame after covering the lid of the cooker for around 30 minutes.
5. Now take the lid off and let the rajma cook, untill all the water is dry and the masala starts to stick to the bottom of the cooker.
6. Add 2-3 tspn garam masala and stir for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Add water [depends on how much gravy you want].
8. Now put the lid on the cooker and cook on low flam for another 30 minutes. Then increase the flame, and wait till the cooker gives 3-4 whistles. Turn off the gas and let the rajma simmer inside the cooker on its own for a while.
9. Garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves.
Best served with rice!